Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, October 15, 2012

Love Is Not Provoked - (Day Fifteen)

“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

I remember the day she made a sweeping movement with her arm across my desk.  My calendar, my paperclips, my pencils and pens, my documents and papers all went flying off onto the floor. 

She wasn’t happy.

In a fit of anger, over the individual I was speaking with on the other end of the phone, my boss was hostile…so easily provoked. 

The ball was in my court.

What was my next move?

Allowing the love of Christ to radiate and by exercising self-control, by the power of the Holy Spirit, I calmly finished my portion of the phone call and handed the receiver over to her as she grabbed it out of my hand.  Quietly, I picked up the mess moved by the tornado that had moved through my office space only minutes earlier.

Silently, I began to pray. 

This is such a perfect example of one’s perspective being clouded in the moment and allowing a razor-sharp temper to rule.  Surely she wasn’t following Ephesians 4:26 (NLT) that tells us, “don’t sin by letting anger control you.”  

No one is immune to the temptation of being provoked, irritated, or angered.  Although, the Bible allows for righteous anger, I would submit to you that too many people either misunderstand and/or mis­use this as a justification of their own bursts of enrage. 

This type of love doesn’t quickly take offense, no matter if we are tired or have our personal rights taken away.  This love doesn’t easily react out of frustration nor is it resentful.  James 1:19 says we should be slow to anger and continues in verse 20 to say, “For the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God” (NASB).

Below are 4 steps that can help us to minimize our reacting in the flesh:

1.  Pray

Ask for God’s help.  It is important not to suppress, tuck away, or internalize the things that bother us.  By honestly confessing our shortcomings to our Father and soliciting His help we are more apt to let the fire die out.  Journal your thoughts, areas of weakness, and key learnings.

2.  Exercise self-control 

We have the power.  Think about a time where you were involved in an argument with a close family member when all of a sudden the telephone rang.  No doubt you answered it in a happy and jovial manner.  See how easy it was to “turn off” the anger when we want to?

3.  Retrain your mind

The way we think helps determine the way we feel.  Read and apply Romans 12:2.  As we transform our minds, we re-calibrate our thinking to line up more like God.    
           
4.  Associate with like minds

We need to surround ourselves with people who are a positive influence.  Many times I have used the example of a white glove (representing the believer) and the dirt (representing the world).  If we take a white glove and rub it in the dirt there is no way it will remain clean and white.  No, the glove will absorb the dirt and in no way will the dirt absorb the glove.  Bad company corrupts good morals. (1 Corinthians 15:33).     

Replace your anger with His LOVE, peace, and power and you won’t be provoked.

Forever His,
Anita 

No comments:

Post a Comment