Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Love Thinks No Evil - (Day Sixteen)



“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

The aching that resonated within my chest ran so deep that every nerve seemed to echo the same tattered and damaged song. My heart was overtaken with discomfort as if someone had physically bruised and marred it. To think that I could somehow manage to forgive the individual who had ignited the anguish was questionable...but I said I did.

At least, I said I did.   

Little did they know that I replayed the scenario countless times in my head...each with a different outcome. Every time I recounted the catastrophe my heart became more and more callous. Quickly, I subjected my thoughts to conversations I would have with that person.

Days turned into months and months into years and still the very thought of that person would cause that incident to replay over and over and over again. Still I was being tormented with the thoughts of the past and bitter towards the one who had offended me.

"...[LOVE] keeps no records of wrong." (NIV)

There is a difference between recalling the painful valleys we have walked through in the past and holding things against one another. Painful memories from traumatizing experiences can last for years, but to have the strength to forgive is part of the healing process.

It's in our human nature to keep records of things. We record the spending of our money in our check books or computers, some of us keep a journal to record our thoughts and feelings and we keep record of medical information. Naturally, we would keep a record of the wrongs others have inflicted upon us.

But that's not like Christ and that's not how He loves.

He has been so gracious to blot out our transgressions and throw them into the depths of the sea. He loves us when we are prideful and selfish. He forgives us when we call upon His name and ask to be forgiven. He remembers them no more (Hebrews 8:12).

We need to follow the beautiful example that has been set before us through our precious Savior. One that loves as He does and doesn't think evil towards someone. A loving heart that forgives and lets go. 

Love,

Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment