Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, October 19, 2012

Love Rejoices in Truth (Day Eighteen)

“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.”
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a

Have you ever had to deliver a message, though packed with truth, that was unpleasant to the receiver?

I recall several instances in my past where God has used me as that messenger to bring light to reality. One  occurrence was with a very dear friend of mine at the time. We had shared the same passions and desires and I thoroughly enjoyed her company. Though I knew she loved the Lord, during our teenage years she started down a road that had hazard signs all over it. Throwing caution to the wind, she was being led astray by the world and it's tempting proposals. I knew I could do one of two things: 


One: Refuse to confront her on this problem and just hope and pray it would go away.  Why would I risk blowing things out of proportion?

Two: Speak the truth in love. Confront her on this blind spot in her life...knowing full well it would hurt and possibly get messy.

And messy it did. 

After much prayer, one difficult phone call, and a meeting involving both of our parents - I walked away feeling like a wounded soldier who had just stepped off the battlefield. My eyes were swollen from the hours of tears. My heart heavy with grief. I knew at that moment that our friendship was fractured beyond repair. 

Unfortunately, those are never the predicaments we would like to be in. It can be awkward and uncomfortable, but to LOVE is to be honest. 

"Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy," Proverbs 27:6 (NLT) 

Telling lies in order to bring flattery and avoid confrontation is easier, but in the long run it destroys relationships, while telling the truth usually builds strong relationships. Love cares for the truth. Loves the truth. Upholds the truth. Speaks the truth.

Loving people always speak the truth.

Love,
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment